Thursday, October 2, 2008

Forgot to Mention.....

Along with the work with his new additions, Jay also sent me a computer printout of everything that happened in the year 1966. Rows and rows of pertinent historical happenings, also, a little of the mundane. It is interesting to reflect on how Jay and myself have taken this little bit of "pointlessness" (the original letter) and manipulated it in such a way that it becomes important again. The original recipient in July of 1966 probably did not care for these piece of correspondence as much as Jay and I have, which also brings about another interesting question; how does this appropriation and manipulation reestablish a value, or even, how did it make it more important than it was ever meant to be.....

1 comment:

Jay Hollick, Travis Helmkamp: Mail Art said...

I think what's interesting is how this letter ignites an interest. The original letter is rather dull, I also think that the work I did on the letter itself isn't nearly as interesting as the pages and pages of printed out history I sent along with it. For that reason I'm glad you mentioned the printed history.
For me it sparked an interest in what happened during that time. When we talked on the phone it sounded as though you did a little background check on the person themself trying to figure out who they were. I think there is something to this difference in the way it affected us. Where I looked at the big picture of what had happened in the world you were deciding to focus on the individual. As a collaboration I think this also becomes something worth exploring.
I have to say great work on your part Travis! I'm excited to see what you send next!